Last week, the Reno Gazette-Journal ran an interesting story about Nevada lobbyists in the 2011 legislature. Some numbers from the story:
- 600 lobbyists, both paid and unpaid, have registered with the state during the first month of session
- Lorne Malkiewich, director of the Legislative Counsel Bureau (LCB), expects over 900 lobbyists by the end of session
- The current lobbyist-to-legislator ratio is 10 to 1, but is expected to be 14 to 1 by end of session
- To help the state's general fund, the LCB raised the fee for paid lobbyists from $120 to $300.
- As of the end of February, the LCB took in $140,000 in lobbying fees and transfered $100,000 to the general fund