In a letter addressed to Attorney General Eric Holder, the Senate Ethics Committee referred their Ensign investigation to the Department of Justice, claiming "...Senator Ensign and others violated laws that fall within the Department of Justice's jurisdiction."
The letter listed the Committee's accusations of Ensign:
- aided and embedded violations of the one-year post-employment contract restriction,
- conspired to violate that restriction,
- made false statements to the Federal Elections Committee,
- violated campaign finance laws, and
- obstructed the committee's preliminary inquiry